From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:56:19 -0400
>The only ones I have ever seen are from the General Records Schedules from
>the National Archives (Schedule 23-7 and 23-10).

Hi Lorrie-

>GRS 23-7:
>7. Transitory Files.

Even GRS23-7 requires a review of the CONTENT to determine that the messages
are 'transitory' by assessing they have "minimal or no documentary or
evidential value".  Once this has been determined then they can be left in
the native application rather than transferred to an approved ERMS, or if
you can show the e-mail application meets the 36CFR requirements, they can
be left there (but to date, none have been able to meet 36CFR, even though
MS asserts that Outlook can)

>GRS 23-10:
>10. Electronic Mail and Word Processing System Copies.
>
>Electronic copies of records that are created on electronic mail and word
>processing systems and used solely to generate a recordkeeping copy of the
>records covered by the other items in this schedule. Also includes electronic
>copies of records created on electronic mail and word processing systems that
>are maintained for updating, revision, or dissemination.
>
>• Copies that have no further administrative value after the recordkeeping
>copy is made. Includes copies maintained by individuals in personal files,
>personal electronic mail directories, or other personal directories on hard
disk
>or network drives, and copies on shared network drives that are used only to
>produce the recordkeeping copy.

As for GRS23-10, as stated above, this ONLY applies to COPIES after the
official record keeping copy is made.

The guidance for electronic mail in 36CFR can be found in Section 1236.22,
part of that guidance states:

 "Agencies must not use an electronic mail system to store the record
keeping copy of electronic mail messages identified as Federal Records
unless that system has all of the features specified in Section 1236.20(b)
of this part."

Larry