From:
"Samuels, Mazrene" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:02:43 -0600
Thank you for your esponses

-----Original Message-----
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Lori Nordland, Ms
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dublin Core and classification

Dublin Core has been used for electronic records management and also in
archives with regards to the description and preservation of electronic
records.  Of course, refinements to the 15 core elements have been
developed/created (see PREMIS for one example) to better faciliate the
needs of archivists.

In the paper world, many of the elements are used, though I haven't
really read or heard of any specific reference to DC in the paper
versions.  I think this may be a case of DC looking at the paperworld,
then developing the core elements (of course, I could be mistaken on
this last point).  But I don't see why one couldn't adopt DC to a paper
environment.  And, the elements should be compatible with classification
system (however, you may not need all 15 elements).

When developing a metadata schema, I also look to the business needs as
there are always custom elements that need to be created, and these
would not be found in DC.  For example, contract numbers in Finance,
student ids for schools, etc.

DC is a good place to start, then move out from there.  Depending upon
the type of records being classified and the type of organization that
you work for, you may also need to look at other standards such as
Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) metadata.

Good luck
Lori