From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:12:42 +1000
The Dublin Core is the basis of the internal metadata schemas of many IM
systems (in the generic IM sense, including EDM, DM, RM, KM and even
libraries). It has had a lot of influence on the development of what
standards do exist, eg here in Oz we have an Aust Govt metadata standard
which is a sort of de facto national standard.

The main things to watch out for are that most standards and schemas built
on it are so detailed and comprehensive, you have to be careful not to get
sucked into creating, storing and maintaining all sorts of metadata you will
(repeat will) never use - watch out for how many data elements you declare
to be mandatory, I've seen a list of 400+ fields, 80 of them mandatory,
which is just ridiculous; and it's too easy for slick software sales reps to
claim that their systems are compatible with it, without specifying what
they mean by compatible. Caveat emptor!

And as PeterK has pointed out, a quick google or two will get you truckloads
of information.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0407 187 333
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.