From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:37:39 -0700
I have not been on the list of late so just stumbled upon this thread.  Jim, feel free to email me - good to learn of your interest.

API RIM arose due to direct inquiry from individuals in countries around the region who, usually, have studied abroad in Canada or Australia, sometime the States, and find on returning home that there is little recognition and no community of records management. There's a lot of history the story is probably too long for a post to the list. The idea is to provide a focal point, initially, to encourage curiosity about the RIM domain and raise awareness.  Both ARMA and the RMAA have probed the region and decided that it is "not ready". API RIM is intended to (eventually) fill a gap, albeit in a different way.

RIM practitioners in Asia often must take work outside the field to put food on the table. I would like to see API RIM develop in a way that offers practitioners a way to keep up skills and build knowledge through participating in special projects funded through government or private grants to the API RIM.   I should note that IRM Strategies, the partnership I run in Hong Kong is the administrative agent for API RIM providing domain space and administrative services as these are needed.  I moved the project we had started to update the woefully out of date Records & Information Management resource list over to API RIM as I am not able to fund the amount of time necessary to review the nearly 5000 links which, in my view, need expansion to incorporate various developments in the RIM and related domains.  This seems an ideal research project for a recent graduate.

API RIM is a registered non-profit in Hong Kong and can, therefore, accept funds and apply for or collaborate with other groups and academia for grant funded projects.  I am simply not able to support the API RIM with time as I did the ICRM years back, so development is slow.

Several academic institutions from Thailand, Hong Kong and Canada have expressed casual interest in learning more and I am the driving force.  Sadly, due to personal matters in 2008-09, I have not been able to drive development.  Currently, I am "on assignment" in Canada to focus on a book delayed by health issues (now mostly resolved) and to take up curriculum development and distance teaching for the University of British Columbia's ground breaking School of Library, Archives and Information Management.

If there is interest in helping to develop API RIM, I would welcome that.  Please write off-list and let me know your ideas and how you can help.  Meanwhile, I am off to take up a gig in my other business so will be in Amsterdam, Limmasol (Cyrus) and Moscow over the next several weeks. Please excuse any delays in response off list.

Happy Songkran, wishing peace to colleagues in Bangkok at this time.

Regards,
John

John James O'Brien, BA, CRM, MALT
On assignment in Canada, 2010-11

Adjunct Professor, School of Library, Archives and Information Science
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Mobile: +1 250 891 2997
Skype: irm-strategies-john-obrien

Partner & Managing Director, IRM Strategies
Hong Kong: +852 3101 7359  Bangkok: +66 2 207 2530
http://www.irmstrategies.com

Founder & Director, Asia Pacific Institute of Records and Information Management
A non-profit community of practice and learning
http://www.apirim.org

Associate Partner, S4K Research AB
Stockholm, Sweden s4k.com

Note: This email (including all attachments and content conveyed hereby) is intended for the addressee, in person or position, only.  Unauthorized use, distribution or action based on this email is prohibited. No rights of ownership are waived or lost through transmission, misdirection or interception. If you are not the intended addressee, kindly notify the sender immediately and expunge  all record of this email from all relevant data systems.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez aviser l'expéditeur immédiatement.

此电子邮件是保密和保护。发件人不放弃的权利和义务与此有关。任何分配,使用或复制此邮件或包含的信息由人以外的其他各项预期的收件人是禁止的。如果您收到此错误的电子邮件,请立即通知寄件人。

อี เมลนี้เป็นความลับและการป้องกัน. ผู้ส่งไม่สละสิทธิและพันธกรณีการบิน. กระจายใดใช้หรือคัดลอกข้อความหรือข้อมูลนั้นโดยบุคคลอื่นนอกเหนือจากผู้รับ โดยเจตนาจะห้าม. ถ้าคุณได้รับอีเมลในข้อผิดพลาดนี้โปรดแจ้งผู้ส่งทันที.