Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:04:57 -0700
Sorry .... but I may be missing something here.

It would seem to me that you have a duplication of effort if you are
applying your barcode and the vendor barcode to the box.  Since you would
need to have the vendors barcode entered into your system to be able to
retrieve the box.  Your barcode number would not tell you where the box is
in the vendors system unless they key it in or read it into their system
along with their barcode.

One of my long term clients (1)  prepares the box.  (2)  Add the vendors
barcode to the box.  (3) updates their RIM system with the vendors barcode
number by adding the number into the system for each file being placed in
the box. (4)  All retrievals are based on the vendors barcode.

If your using your barcode to retrieve and the vendors falls off in storage
the vendor would have no idea where the box was unless they also key/scanned
in your barcode number into their system as an alternate number.

I believe if there are using compatible bar code system (3 of 9 I believe) I
don't know why they couldn't use the barcode on the box being transferred.
I'd check with the vendor.

R W Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
253-229-4555