From:
Laurie Carpenter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:22:44 -0400
I wanted to post a summary of responses to my question last week about
whether or not organizations have their Tax/CFO/Financial audit group
approve destruction requests. Thanks for all those who responded both on-
line and off-line. I was pleased with the number of responses.

Summary of Listserv responses –10:

Mix of 50% DID involve Tax/CFO/audit department in Records Destruction
authorizations and 50% DID NOT.

Of the 50% that did, one respondent was considering if it was enough to have
Tax designation in the retention schedule and not continue to have tax
approve disposal due to potentially overwhelming volumes of data.

For those that did NOT involve the Tax/CFO/Audit department in the review:
•	One organization posted tax hold and tax release years on their
intranet
•	One organization put the responsibility back on every department to
either know about tax holds or to contact tax directly
•	One general recommendation was that since Tax was involved at the
schedule creation, they shouldn’t need to be involved in the disposition review.

I think the summary brings up an interesting point, that communication with
Tax/CFO/Audit takes varying forms at various companies and that has an
impact on their specific disposal procedures. I think the information is helpful,
though, as while the obvious answer is the old "it depends" response, I think
the responses point out considerations organizations may find helpful to
evaluate their specific situation.

Thanks again!

Laurie Carpenter, CRM
Burbank, CA