From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:19:46 -0400
On Apr 28, 2010, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: PeterK <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: April 27, 2010 2:20:04 PM EDT
> Subject: RAINdrop We have met the enemy and he is PowerPoint - NYTimes.com

Well thanks a lot Peter!!  I just spent two months working on a PowerPoint and now I find out they are referred to as "Hypnotizing Chickens"!

I am joking, everyone knows it takes more than two months to make a good Powerpoint.

Powerpoints appeal to us because they are organized and nothing is left out.  In the old days you made an outline, gave your speech and hoped your speech hit every point. The trouble is, it takes the "spontaneity" out of the talk and refuses to let an audience go to areas of interest.

The audience tends to not interrupt and nothing draws them into the presentation and thus boredom sets in. No one knows the topic like the person creating the slides so much is glossed over and input is discouraged.

I think that having a few questions for the audience several times in the presentation may wake up the Chickens, so to speak!

I think creating a written White Paper to accompany the presentation is the only way to ensure that those really interested in what you say, can have something to refer to and benefit from in the days following the presentation.

Now onto my Slide #74, ..........

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134