From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:51:06 -0600
I DIDN'T get to see Russ' keynote at LegalTech but I've seen him speak
before and know he's quite effective at what he presents. I also know, as
Julie noted, that he and most other good speakers take the time to prepare,
practice, etc.

I haven't been following the thread that closely so forgive me if some of
these have already been mentioned. Let me throw out a few more resources for
those interested - and if you're a professional, you *will* have to present
to someone at some point. PowerPoint is just the tool - as is Keynote,
SlideRocket, Prezi, etc.

I have an entire library of books relating to speaking. Many of them focus
on the business of the professional speaker - things like negotiating with
speaker bureaus, marketing, etc. But in terms of crafting the message, there
are some really valuable books from the likes of Dottie Walters and
especially Alan Weiss. Dale Carnegie's book is one of the core works.

Garr Reynolds' books, Presentation Zen and Presentation Zen Design, are
excellent, as is slide:ology by Nancy Duarte. Cliff Atkinson's Beyond Bullet
Points is a more technical treatment of PowerPoint but it still has many
useful points. These folks also have blogs:
http://www.presentationzen.com/
http://blog.duarte.com/
http://www.beyondbulletpoints.com/blog/

Finally, you might check out Slideshare.net (http://www.slideshare.net).
It's used primarily to share presentations - think YouTube for PPT. But they
frequently feature different types or topics of presentations and you can
often find things to inspire you as you strive to avoid "death by
PowerPoint". I use it regularly for just that - to get inspiration - as well
as to keep abreast of what others are saying about a particular topic.

P.S. If you haven't seen this video on YouTube, stop reading this and go
click it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvgfmEU2Ck

(Here's an updated version I haven't watched yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbSPPFYxx3o&feature=related)

Jesse Wilkins, CRM