From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 11:52:04 -0600
<snip>
My problem is it's too broad and it's attempting to ingest 3-4 functions into one category,
mis-titling what it is, (the functions performed and purpose it serves) and
there are few people in this segment outside of one person shops that do all
of this.

How many people will work in a single role that develop UIs, classify
documents, assess security and metadata requirements, operate capture
equipment, administer physical systems and security, analyze system
performance, evaluate legal needs, assess/acquire/deploy systems, develop
classification taxonomies, and conduct needs assessments of end users...
unless they also don a cape and can leap buildings in a single bound???
</snip>

How many people will work in a single role that requires them to classify documents, assess security and metadata requirements, operate capture equipment, administer physical systems and security, analyze system performance, evaluate legal needs, assess/acquire/deploy systems, develop classification taxonomies, and conduct needs assessments of end users...AND manage people, manage a program, manage the mail room, manage forms, manage reprographics, manage microforms, manage a records center, interact with and/or manage a commercial records center, conduct a records inventory and appraisal, identify and manage vital records, and manage disposition? I didn’t see very many capes in Orlando.... (for those of you not CRMs yet, these are but a subset of all the things on the CRM exam. Don't get me started on whether I believe they should be or should still be. And at least it doesn't include lifting 35 lbs!)

So the point is perhaps not that a single person would do all of this all the time in a single job for a given employer - just as records managers may or may not do most of the things listed above in a given job for a given employer.

And with regards to Larry's note about consultants - the fact that Bernard is currently a consultant rather than an end user is really immaterial. CPAs are arguably accounting consultants; similarly, lawyers (especially outside law firms) are legal consultants, under the definition proffered. That said, they are still operating in their professions. I'm conducting an inventory and have already written the policy for a current client - does the fact that I am not an employee make me less of a RIM professional? I understand Larry's point about what DOL is trying to do, but the "concern" seems to me to be unwarranted.

I am not close enough to this effort or the related ARMA effort to pick at all the details. But I think it's legitimate to try to define what many employees at e.g. scanning service bureaus do. I can also claim with some confidence that there are more "document management professionals" in the workforce than there are RIM professionals if only because there are so many large-volume service bureaus and so many ACH/lockbox/check processing/remittance processing operations out there. I wish the ARMA effort had been successful but I don't know that there isn't room in the professional world for both of these classifications.

My tuppence on a very windy CO Wednesday,

Jesse Wilkins, CRM
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins