From:
Sonya Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 12:24:43 -0700
--- On Thu, 6/5/10, Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At the recent AIIM expo in Philadelphia, OmniRIM had a kiosk in the SharePoint pavilion to show its paper record management working together with MOSS 2010.

John wrote:
>It is my understanding that SharePoint 2010 has addressed many of the
>issues that RIM professionals had in version 2008.

At AIIM, there were many sessions to showcase the RIM development of SharePoint - and it's made a lot of great progress with regard to capacity for managing electronic office documents.

However it appears to me that SharePoint still requires integration with "another product" to enable the capture of email or scanned images, and to manage physical records. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experience integrating SharePoint with business systems / structured databases.

At AIIM, I specifically asked the RIM expert at the MS booth (and also several of the partners) about using SharePoint to manage physical records. Everyone's first reaction was to start talking about managing scanned images. They looked at me blankly when I pressed the point about a searchable metadata stub, pointing to the physical location (and applicable policies) for physical records. The MS fellow eventually said that it was probably technically possible to set up SharePoint for managing physical records, but it would be difficult and was not really what SP is designed to do.

IMHO a "fully-fledged ECM system" can manage records (or content) regardless of format or location. SharePoint is a user-friendly front-end and collaboration portal for unstructured digital content.

In addition to OmniRIM, there were many, many MS partners with RIM/ECM products that can integrate with SharePoint. I don't think there is a "best" or "preferred" partner or product. The right combination will vary from one organisation to another, based on your IT architecture, and your existing partnerships. You're doing a great job to be skeptical and to review all the options.

regards
Sonya

Sonya Sherman
Grand Cayman