From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2010 11:53:39 -0400
http://bit.ly/cUu5er

(snips)
Last year’s health IT law tightened the HIPAA security and privacy rules,
increased fines, and ...issued an enforcement rule that took effect in
November, can now impose penalties of up to $1.5 million per violation.

“And the goal of the enforcement program will be to obtain compliance from
covered entities and from new regulated entities as HITECH has authorized”....

Some at the conference said it was expensive ... to comply with HIPAA
security and privacy provisions... “the cost of compliance may now, in view
of these penalty amounts, look a lot more reasonable than the cost of doing
nothing.”

If you read this, you'll see the mention of "Covered Entities"... this is
where WE in RIM come into the picture in informing our Legal and Contracts
staff of the requirement for including a "Business Associates Agreement" in
**ALL** contracts with third parties storing medical/health records, whether
they are in physical or electronic formats.  The BAA calls out the storage
providers obligations as a covered entity and transfers responsibility to
them for proper protection of these assets while in their custody.

http://bit.ly/IaVkF

Let's take this opportunity to "Step up to the Plate" and once again show
our value added features to our organizations!  We may not always be a
profit center, but we CAN contribute to minimizing exposure to legal costs,
which contributes to the bottom line!

Larry
[Yes, it's really me =) ]