From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 13:19:27 -0400
I've always felt that point 2 of the CRM Code of Ethics takes precedence over Point 3 when the activities are illegal or fraudulent.  It seems to me that Mr. Abbot should have first gone to internal sources (in this case the inspection and approval Engineers) to point out the process error (CRM point 3). If they then required him to continue to cover up the error, he could invoke a form of CRM point 2 (we don't know if Mr. Abbot was a CRM and liable for adherence to the Code of Ethics).  Covering up (or ignoring) the error while employed by BP and waiting until he was no longer employed by BP and then leaking or broadcasting the error to the press and others is also not very ethical behavior.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division