From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 14:40:53 -0400
Re: " the way to market ourselves "

It's when you realize that most of these sites are self-promoting and
marketing incessantly that I start tuning them out, as do many others. I get
a number of "invitations" to join LinkedIn "networks" where you realize they
have only 3 people in them - the "leader", you and one other fool that fell
for it. In fact, for years, I used to use examples of and links to
Internet-based content in presentations. It was particularly good when an
e-publication or vendor site had good stats or white papers. Now, it is
difficult to use anything on the Internet without being confronted on a page
with Headlines and Sidebars using flashing ads to push marketing "info" so
that the information you want to refer someone to is basically obscured
unless they scroll down the screen a ways to get away from infomercials.
Don't get me started on Home page pop-ups that are so obnoxious even the web
site owner puts a "click to avoid this video ad" on the page. If it is so
irritating to so many people, why do they bother putting it there?

Most of us are becoming so antagonized by Internet advertising that we don't
even really pay attention to it anymore or just avoid a site or Facebook
page altogether. So much for effective marketing. They might want to think
twice about the audience and the real ROI for Facebook "marketing."

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
865-966-9413