From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 21:49:54 -0700
John Phillips wrote:
> Re: " the way to market ourselves "
>
> It's when you realize that most of these sites are self-promoting and
> marketing incessantly that I start tuning them out, as do many others. I get
> a number of "invitations" to join LinkedIn "networks" where you realize they
> have only 3 people in them - the "leader", you and one other fool that fell
> for it. In fact, for years, I used to use examples of and links to
> Internet-based content in presentations. It was particularly good when an
> e-publication or vendor site had good stats or white papers. Now, it is
> difficult to use anything on the Internet without being confronted on a page
> with Headlines and Sidebars using flashing ads to push marketing "info" so
> that the information you want to refer someone to is basically obscured

Internet advertising: Depending on your annoyance level, there are cures
for that.
If you browse with Firefox, an add-in called "ad-bloc pro" will quietly
prevent most of those from ever appearing.
Even though it is called "pro", it is free.

I link with some family and some others I know and like. I can block
people I stop liking, though I haven't done that much.
Facebook is a convenient place to post pics of some of my projects.

My own website is semi-business, and I really need a better way to
divide personal from business.
That's a work in progress.
Like the rest of life.

Cheers