From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 06:06:56 -0700
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Grevin, Fred <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> David Kay asked "When do we migrate records?" The quick answer is "as soon
> as it becomes necessary". Delay increases costs and risks.

My response is relatively similar "Before we need to" is what I'd go with.

You need to develop a sampling technique for the media which you are storing
on and the different formats you store... and because we aren't all NIST and
don't have the benefits of accelerated aging tests, if it's media you're
concerned with it will be between 5-8 years; if it's formats, you need to
stay ahead of the application upgrades.  Evey 3rd upgrade, earlier versions
begin getting orphaned... if you allowed the use of custom style sheets and
oddball fonts, you better have embedded them with the files or plan to
potentially lose them sooner than 3 upgrades.

Get a copy of the NIST Special Publication bit.ly/b8AoPs and find out what
you need to know about marking, storing, handling removable media if you
want to attempt to extend it's usable life... and the 5-8 years I stated?
That applies to identical media from the same batch purchased, stored, and
burned on similar devices... anything else, all bets require hedging.  Each
'batch' should be sampled/handled similarly, but no two batches are
identical.

Larry
--
Larry Medina