From:
"Reynolds, Diana" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 14:13:12 -0500
I am the Records Management Supervisor for an Electric Generation and Transmission company. We are regulated by FERC as well as RUS. The FERC Regulations 18 CFR 125  and the RUS guidelines for records retention identifies the following:

§ 125.3 Schedule of records and periods
of retention.

Operations and Maintenance

13.1 Production-Public utilities and licensees (less Nuclear):

(c) Station and system generation reports and clearance
logs:
(2) Steam and others .................................................... 6 years. See § 125.2(g)

§ 125.2 General instructions.

(g) Schedule of records and periods of
retention. (1) Records related to plant in
service must be retained until the facilities
are permanently removed from
utility service, all removal and restoration
activities are completed, and
all costs are retired from the accounting
records unless accounting adjustments
resulting from reclassification
and original costs studies have been approved
by the regulatory commission
having jurisdiction. If the plant is sold,
the associated records or copies thereof,
must be transferred to the new owners.

We have a lockout/tagout program. When we are working on generation or transmission equipment we have a clearance procedure to make sure it is not energized while performing the maintenance. These are referred to as clearances.

Some in our company are interpreting the above as we have to retain any clearances for maintenance on capital assets until the retirement of that asset. This is in reference to Section 125.2(g) above.

I do not believe this is what the citation is referencing. I believe the general reports and clearance logs are in reference to when the asset is cleared to the 300 accounts which are the capital assets.

Has anyone on this list made an interpretation of this Regulation?

You can reply to the list or to me personally.

Thank you,

Diana L. Reynolds
RM Supervisor
Sunflower Electric Power Corporation