From:
Elizabeth W Adkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2010 19:48:45 -0400
Mary, I think you have been given good advice so far on how to learn about
corporate archives.  I'll just add a few more thoughts.

The Business Archives Section of the Society of American Archivists is a
good starting place.  If by any chance you could make it to the Society of
American Archivists meeting in Washington, D.C. in August, you could stop
by the Business Archives Section meeting and introduce yourself to
corporate archivists there.  For more information about the SAA meeting,
see http://www2.archivists.org/conference/2010/washington.  The Business
Archives Section will be meeting August 12 at 1:45.

An overview of business archives can be found at
http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/bas/BusArchives%202.asp.  But the
questions you ask about space, skills, staffing levels, reporting
structure, job descriptions and program scope depend a great deal on
circumstances and your company.  There are consultants who specialize in
corporate archives who can help you pull some ideas together; if you are
interested in getting a few referrals, please contact me off-list.  There
is also a three-day workshop on business archives that SAA sponsors
periodically.  The co-instructors are myself and Phil Mooney, Director of
Archives at Coca-Cola.  We don't have the next workshop scheduled yet, but
if you'd like we can have the SAA office contact you once we do get it
scheduled.  I'll also try to remember to post a note about the workshop on
this list once it is scheduled.

Good luck with your efforts.

NOTE:  The opinions posted here are mine, and not those of my employer.

Elizabeth W. Adkins, Certified Records Manager, Certified Archivist
Senior Manager, Global Records and Information Management
CSC

3170 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, Virginia 22042
CAS | p:  +1 703 641 2410 |  f:  +1 703 205 1503 | [log in to unmask] |
www.csc.com

delivery.
purpose.