From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:57:04 -0700
Late to the party on this one...

Back in the day, when I ran an in-house records center, we could pretty much count on a pallet (40 standard boxes) to come in on the forklift's scale at right around 1200 pounds, plus or minus 100. So my standard for a typical records box is 30 pounds. Clearly, there can be variances, but unless you know that your variance is towards the high or low side, that's a good number to estimate.

The heaviest standard records box that we ever weighed was 62 pounds... densely packed microfiche. That was a surprise to pull off the shelf head-high.

If you're doing this for floor loads or something, don't forget the weight of the shelving.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell