From:
Jason Cheng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2010 18:21:43 -0700
Jennifer,

I have recently been involved with a similar effort for daily record volumes
and its no suprise that you'll eventually have to base your estimates on
assumptions.

I sense the volumes I'm dealing with are nowhere near what you're dealing
with at the moment (mine is under 2K per day, but a limited number of
variations).

One piece of practical advice I would offer is providing your estimates in
phases.

Unless you have the software and toolset chosen, its not reasonable come up
with a meaningful estimate.

At this stage, I would guess you could provide a "sizing" estimate, but you
won't know until you take a small sample of your records and perform some
trial runs.  I mention this is because estimates from other sources will
carry a different set of assumptions, restrictions, requirements and
limitations.

Best case scenario is that you can run a pilot, or even choose some
temporary software to simulate the process, and base your estimates on
actually scanning a small fraction of that content to project your
estimates.

I hope that helps a little bit.