From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:45:03 -0700
Trevor:  You would be re-creating the wheel if you continue with your project, because a reference tool already exists entitled "Guide to Record Retention Requirements in the Code of Federal Regulations."  That being said, the publisher of this one-volume, softbound annual (CCH/Wolters Kluwer) discontinued publishing it in this format as of January 2006.  However, the January 2006 edition if still extremely useful (if you can get your hands on one), because it contains the entire foundation for any updating of individual CFR sections.  I'm still using my January 2006 edition, and I go online to check for updates when necessary.  Subsequent to January 2006, there is a three-volume looseleaf set entitled "Guide to Records Retention--The Lawyer's Role" published by Thomson West.  It's more costly and definitely more cumbersome to use than the CCH Guide, but it essentially contains the same material in chapter form, i.e., there are separate chapters for each specific area of law that is covered in the CFR. I'm intimately familiar with using these tools, and my recommendation is that you don't try to develop a new one from scratch when these already exist.  Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss further.

--Lee

Lee Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.