From:
Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:37:49 -0700
Hi,

Nazariah asked, "...(Is there) a standard procedure or practice to destroy
documents/records which were classified as SECRET and CONFIDENTIAL?"

Usually, the first answer will be, "It depends." but, I have to say no.
Each company or organization sets its own policy for what is SECRET and
CONFIDENTIAL.  Countries and states have laws governing personal
information, how to keep it and how to destroy it, though.

"Is shredding enough? Or need to burn them after shredding? Are working
copies document need to follow the same procedure as final document if it
is contain confidential information?"
If your organization has concerns about working documents, your policy
should spell out that working documents should be shredded like final
documents.

"How about INTERNAL USE documents? For example, a memo for internal
communication. Can we throw it away or need to shred too?"
What is the risk?  Can someone get personal information about your
employees, clients or customers from internal documents?  Can someone get
confidential or secret information?  Does it cost more to shred these
internal use documents than to have the information fall into the hands of
someone who uses it to harm people or your organization?  This should be
decided and spelled out in your policy.

"What is the best practice for disposal of records activity?"
Here at American Honda, information about Honda's records used only in the
Records Management department is shredded.

Should we allow people to drafts document recycle (use the blank page)?
We are asked to "reduce, recycle and reuse", so I reuse blank pages and
blank half-pages.   I count pages with page numbers as blank, and also the
back sides of Excel forms, when I hit "Print" and it spits out pages and
pages and I only needed the selection. This,too should be spelled out in
your policy, probably under recycling.

Although I am associated with Honda, these are my own views and not those
of Honda.

Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member - The Orange County Chapter of ARMA International
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's website at ocarma.org
Larry Medina - "RM makes the rules; IT provides the tools".