From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:24:52 -0400
> Subject: A question about enterprise vaults and then something funny
>

> Hello,
>
> Have any of you worked with your IT departments to transfer emails stored by email archiving 'vault' solutions, such as Symantec, ZyLAB, Sunbelt, Barracuda, etc. into the archives?

I hope that the newbies to our forum realize that "vault solutions" that they refer to have nothing to do with secure storage inside a vault. I recently bought a G-Drive and the salesperson kept referring to it as a electronic vault. I did a weak impression of Crocodile Dundee stating "That's not a knife, this is a knife!!" by showing him pictures of what a vault looks like.

The other systems are in something about one step above an old warehouse and the security they speak of is their great CRAC system and access control for employees.

Several of these colocation centers have gone up in smoke (sometimes by design I imagine as their revenues did not meet their projections to their bank.) and newbies are always amazed that the vault did not protect it.

In twenty-five years of "real" vaulting no one has lost anything but the ERMS guys want to keep referring to their systems as vaults when there is no rational justification for that language other than to deceive an entire generation of business managers.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM