From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:13:23 -0400
Rich's case may be a little different because employees are being encouraged
to use their own cellphones, but in my experience the cart comes before the
horse more often than not!  Technology becomes an issue when it catches
on, and then RM/IT/Legal have to figure out how to manage the new
information being created at that point.  In a perfect world I'd proactively
implement policy before things like email, instant messaging, and electronic
voice mail, but technology moves fast and employees are eager to use the
next tool as soon as they can.  Even with good technology-neutral policies in
place specific technologies require specific responses.

In my organization I'm worried about the fact that transactions are taking
place via instant messaging, but we don't even have a decent e-mail policy in
place yet.  I'll finally finish it when email is a quaint legacy technology that
only "old" people use, and start working on managing instant messages just
when they give way to the next big thing that rolls along (video calls? life
recordings? thought capture?).  My work is never done!