From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:35:28 -0400
Probably, I should elaborate a little here.

What I meant by getting it off of the RM's responsibility list, was more
that we want the responsibility for addressing it to get onto someone else's
responsibility list, as well as the RMs. Sort of like hitting them the ball
and now it's in their court. A way to politely say " we are telling you what
we know (from many sources) needs to be done, and seems like a mutual
responsibility, so now you need to work with us to get it done." A way to
consistently and repeatedly make them uncomfortable enough to get interest
and cooperation.

The only way it seems like these RM policies get implemented is when after
they are proposed, IT, legal, business users, and eventually management get
sufficiently uncomfortable with their involvement in the status quo (for
whatever reason) that they become motivated to effect CHANGE. Often it takes
being aggressive, nice, scary, and guilt-inducing all working in concert to
make it happen. RMs have so much to do in so many areas, that I don't think
it is productive to risk all political capital at once. It's usually best to
simply remind everyone of the need for policy implementation about
quarterly, wait a while, and remind them again. And again. And again. With
consistently increasing strength in the business case.

There is no magic that I have ever seen in getting organizational
cooperation and buy-in, other than in multiple ways, appealing to everyone's
professional self-interest. If there is something in it for them, they will
go for it. Catching flies with mostly honey, and a little vinegar.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com