From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:32:57 -0400
John said <It would nice if RM could simply propose a policy revision and thus
get it off of their responsibility list>

Doug said <Agreed, but it does me no good to just propose policy.  The trick
is getting an enforceable policy in place.  If anyone has some magic to share,
I would love to learn more.>

In my situation I even have the support of Legal and IT.  In fact the IT
manager comes by every once in a while and says, "Have you got an email
policy done yet?"  There are basically two hurdles:  the first is getting budget
for an ERMS (requiring ongoing efforts at upselling the program to executive)
which we don't yet have in place.  So the infrastructure isn't there yet for a
policy, and the required change management amongst the rank and file, which
I am sure is why the IT manager wants me to drive the change instead of
her.  A great deal of political capital will be spent there.  I could do an interim
policy that would apply in the absence of an ERMS, but I don't want to roll
that out and then have to roll out another policy after the ERMS is in place.

I don't think there is any magic.  It's a constant knocking at the door, getting
a foot in when possible, and keeping the i's dotted and the t's crossed in the
meantime.