From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:12:33 -0400
I agree. A policy should be high level - "We are going to do our best to
manage information responsibly, wisely, professionally, and according to
laws and regs". A procedure is how exactly we are going to do it - "print to
paper, store in Outlook.pst until archived, etc". For every high level
policy that is seldom re-written, there could be 25 different procedures on
what exactly to do in 25 different cases. Unfortunately, the term policy is
often used interchangeably with the word procedure.

It should be relatively a bit easier to write initial high level policies,
but specific procedures may not be easily completed until an ERM is
implemented enough to understand pretty detailed operational parameters. One
could certainly write a general policy and a draft procedure before and
during ERM implementation.

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.com