From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 11:40:09 -0400
There's an aspect of this thread that I'm also feeling puzzled about, so I ask
forgiveness in advance if it's a cerebral problem on my part.  I have no issues
with Hugh's argument in any way - a vault obviously provides better disaster
protection than a regular filing cabinet or an unprotected room.

What I'm not sure of is why there's confusion about a piece of software and
physical vault protection.  Are some people mistakenly believing that with the
purchase of this software their data is being stored in a physical vault?  If so I
think that they have a limited understanding of software - it's like expecting
MS Office to come packaged with a physical office setup or Adobe Acrobat to
come with a circus performer.  Tons of software applications have
metaphorical names to highlight some aspect of the software, and in this
case, Symantec is highlighting how the product stores and protects electronic
data.

Hugh is right: records managers and IT need to know what they're getting and
understand the real features of software (not just what they're told), but this
is true of all software, no matter what the name implies or doesn't imply.

I'm not a vendor/reseller of Symantec or any other product - these are merely
the opinions of a records manager doing his struggle in the daily grind.