From:
Christina Zamon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 14:46:41 -0400
I've come to this list seeking some sage advice.  First, let me say that a) I am not a records manager and b) I STRONGLY suggested the college hire a records manager but alas, I lost that battle.  So here's the story...

In the next few months we will have our first ever records management policy going into place.  This is a college-wide policy that I developed with our General Counsel's office with the knowledge that the college (at this point) is not willing to hire a records manager.  In order to make this work the departments will each have a "departmental records officer" who will be in charge of compliance and  I will need to start scheduling and "assisting" the departments in managing their records and making sure that permanent records are sent to the archives.  The plan is that I will spend the next few years working with all of the departments to devise a schedule for their paper and electronic records.  I have been looking at Zasio and Retention Manager 3 as possible software options to assist me in putting those schedules together.  I plan to use one of these programs as a starting point, realizing that I'm not going to have time to really do any serious research other than a quick Google search.  So the information I get (and I understand from previous list conversations) that the information may not be 100% up to date.

One thing I'm struggling with is our IT department who is not on board with helping me to manage electronic records.  I'm leaning a little bit more towards Zasio as it looks like there is the possibility of expanding the package to include an enterprise records management system which our IT folks are resisting but I think we will need to achieve the goals that our General Counsel has for electronic records management.

Can anyone offer any advice or feedback positive or negative on Zasio or Retention Manager 3 in regards to this situation?  Does anyone have any thoughts on how this software may or may not help me in this situation?  Are there other solutions?

 Keep in mind that I am a "lone arranger" and up until now my only responsibility has really been the archives and developing our special collections so I will be managing this on top of many other tasks.  Thanks.