From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 20:11:36 -0400
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Christina Zamon <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> I've come to this list seeking some sage advice.  First, let me say that a)
> I am not a records manager and b) I STRONGLY suggested the college hire a
> records manager but alas, I lost that battle.  So here's the story...

Congratulations for better or worse you are now the de facto records manager
for Emerson. The vast majority of records managers are like you in that they
are the sole person in their organization tasked with designing, developing
and implementing an organization wide program. Accept the work as a new
challenge and within a year ask for a raise because of your increased duties
and responsibilities

But you’ve come to the right place. First of all there is a large chapter of
ARMA International located in Boston http://www.armaboston.org/ you should
check them out. Also consider contacting other universities and colleges in
the area who have records managers. I know of two individuals who may be
able to offer assistance. Contact me offlist for their names.

Do you have an office library of records management books and guides? If not
you should build one. Here are just a few items that I recommend. I’m sure
others will have similar recommendations. I would hit up the General Counsel
for a publications budget it is the least they can do for you. And shoot it
isn’t too late to hit them up for attendance at the ARMA conference in San
Francisco. http://www.arma.org/conference/2010/education.aspx

Records and Information Management: Fundamentals of Professional Practice

*Author:* William Saffady**

*Catalog #:* A4730

Winning Strategies for Successful Records Management Programs

*Author:* Mark Langemo

*Catalog #:* B4814

Establishing and Managing Successful Records Management Programs

eight-hour, eight-CD video seminar

*Author:* Mark Langemo

*Catalog #:* D4831

Retention Management for Records and Information

*Author:* ARMA International

*Catalog #:* A4758

Evaluating and Mitigating Records and Information Risks

*Author:* ARMA International

*Catalog #:* A4920

How to Develop a Retention Schedule

*Author:* John C. Montaña, J.D

*Catalog #:* A4912

Sample Forms for Archival and Records Management Programs

*Author:* ARMA International and Society of American Archivists

*Catalog #:* A4704

Now onto your question what software should you choose? I wouldn’t at this
point in time until you have set up a project schedule, conducted a records
inventory and networked with other University RMs. Sure the General Counsel
is going to push for a schedule, but they aren’t easy to develop. And it
isn’t as easy as just looking up the laws and regulations. There are many
here on the list who have worked with either product. I myself used Zasio
several years ago. These products greatly help in speeding up the retention
research, but making sure you have selected the correction retention period
will take time.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va