From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 14:40:08 -0400

>The records include attendance sheets, registration, medical
>information, and instructor's notes about class participants.

Ah yes, the ever popular "It depends" comes out once again =)

There may be a need to segregate some of these materials rather than
maintain them all in one file... but in part, the depends on what you mean
by "medical information" and "notes ABOUT class participants".

I'd agree with some of the earlier comments that it sounds as though these
are Training materials, but it's unclear if the attendees are Public Safety
Officers and College Staff or if they're students... and if it's a mix of
both, there may be a desire to further segregate the records, even to the
point of having separate sign in sheets for attendees.

You may have set schedule for retention of employee training records, but as
others have stated, the retention of records related to students should be
tied to their graduating class or separation from the college.

Registration information will likely include PII, and maybe even PFI, if
they list payment info on there, so there may be requirements that already
exist about how/where/who has access requirements at the College on these items.

Another consideration may be how this training is funded.  If there is
State,  other Agency, or Grant funding provided, there may be a component of
your retention requirements included there.

Larry