From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:02:44 -0400
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]> strongly stated:

>Classification is the act or process of categorizing by like elements, so I
>suppose the term used may vary according to context.  Classification schemes
>are taxonomies and the classification terminology is fundamental.  Security
>rating is another term used for the act or process of establishing access
>restrictions.  Frankly, it is a little more odd that "classified" has come
>to mean "restricted" when all it really means is grouped. All records should
>be classified, and as few as appropriately possible restricted, IMO.

I think it depends upon your perspective what the meaning of classified is.
 From an academic or scientific (especially biological) view you are correct
in saying it means 'grouping'.  But if you look up the dictionary
definitions of classify, classification, classified (which I did during last
weeks discussion) you will find that all of them include both and a lot of
attention is paid to the issue of sensitive content and restricted access.

Given some of the earliest (US) formal records management practices came
from the Government, specifically the Military, I don't think it's too odd
for many of us in the US, especially in the Federal Sector to think of
classification tied to the protection of content from exposure.

I know thew UK and Australia have used taxonomies related to records and
developed classification schemes, much like libraries have for a long time.
From what I've seen the concept is still relatively new to RM practices in
the US.

Because we were seeing it discussed more,  4 years ago Margaret Pember
(while a member if the ARMA SDC) wrote the "Primer" for the use
classification and taxonomies as a practice for RM. Even at that time, the
decision was made to call the document "Controlled Language in RIM Practice"
to ensure there was an understanding of what the content was. Her strong
background in this from practice in Australia was a great help to
socializing the concept. (If anyone would like to see a copy of this, it's
available in the YAHOO RIM Resources Group in the files area)

Many in the US were starting to see the terms associated with ED/ERMS
applications and while many of us that had an exposure to Library Sciences
were familiar with the terms, they weren't regularly associated with RM in
the US at the time.

I think my original point may have been lost a bit in how I stated it.  I
don't see a problem with discussing a manner of organizing information as a
'classification scheme', but I do see a problem with discussing the
segregation of information independently as 'classifying' documents/records.
Typically when sensitive materials are marked to limit access based on their
content, they are 'classified' individually.  In almost all other RM
settings I've been associated with when documents of records are segregated
and grouped, they are 'categorized'.

May be another case of being separated by a common language, eh John?

Larry