From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:32:06 -0500
Hugh's post said,
" Where are the articles about the computer industry moving to one platform and standardized migration plans and ultimate security? The concept of the Data Center in a Box which places data centers in steel boxes outside the building with no control of outside elements to the interior when they open the doors and on and on.  Speed, density, and cost are the gods of the IT Industry, security is just another inconvenience because it slows the release date."

I must respectfully disagree with the statement about the lack of concern about security on the part of IT.  At my company, and I know at many others, Infosec is another form of information governance that is very much in place with resources committed to it and usually works in conjunction with RIM.  There are international standards for this topic and a professional group for information security professionals (ISSA) which works to educate its members.  If I am not mistaken, there are also certifications for this field as well.

Any company which values its intellectual property, does business internationally, deals with information privacy, must be able to protect confidential information, etc. has many controls in place and are very unlikely to mindlessly embrace cloud providers unless their concerns are very specifically addressed.  IT usually is audited on their management of security and must make sure they can adequately address any audit issues that arise.

I think I do add something of value to the discussion, but I really don't think that Records and Information professionals should underestimate the professionalism of the many dedicated IT professionals when it comes to their understanding of security.  Although there may be some who regard it as another inconvenience, I don't think it is the prevalent mind set.

Mary Hilliard, CRM