From:
Laura Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:50:51 -0700
[Do any of these work for you? Better yet, how does your firm (successfully) administrate file closure?]

We do not have any process that automatically triggers a matter closing.  Several activities will warn various departments that a matter is about to be closed, or is nearing the end of its active lifecycle, but the closing of each matter is still handled on a case-by-case basis.

The records department relies on the attorney, the paralegal, or secretary, to warn us about an imminent closing so that we can gather all materials that are left to be organized and filed.  The attorney will notify our accounting department that he/she wants a final bill sent, but the accounting department does not initiate closing procedures until they get the "official" word from records.  Sending a final bill or receiving payment in full never triggers a matter closing.

We have a form that one of the attorney's team members completes and forwards to records.  Special instructions are written on the form (ie. if we must save pleadings, discovery, or some other portion of the file for any future activity the attorney anticipates).  The records department processes the form and file folders, then passes the form on to our accounting department.  Only then is the matter closed in the accounting records.

Of course there are matters that slip through the cracks.  For that, we've instituted an annual review of the shelves.  One records department staff member is assigned to review all matters on active shelves and notes which ones have not had any overall client activity for the past 2 years, judgments have been satisfied, final dismissals recorded, etc.  These are recorded on a spreadsheet, and organized by supervising attorney.  We ask each attorney to review our list and initial the matters that can be closed and sent off-site.

All in all, we've found that the best process is one that funnels all closing activities through one source.  We have chosen our records department to be the source of all information about any matters opening or closing.  It makes it easier for the attorneys and their staff because they know that if there is any question about a matter, the records department will almost always have the answer.  They don't have to wonder who to ask.  Our accounting department was also happy to hand over responsibility to us as well, as we record all information about the closed matter - including who authorized the closing.

[cid:081515018@28092010-330C]
Laura Steinberg, Records Manager
[cid:081515018@28092010-3313]