From:
"Creamer, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:46:19 -0400
Well, they both integrate with iManage. However, as I understand it, and
I could be wrong, there is an important difference. The iManage doc
system, and the iManage records management system they designed, are
integrated to the extent that they use the same records repository, so
that would fill your desire to literally have one place to look for
"everything", although there are problems with that approach because,
among other things, it doesn't reflect the real world of any business,
which consists of many records repositories.

iManage also integrates with Outlook, and that integration uses the
Outlook interface to display everything in the repository. Here is the
problem: The iManage solution (building everything around the iManage
database repository) means that if it's not in there, you can't see it,
the interface has no ability to connect with any other repository except
the iManage repository - and in the real world, your firm has many
islands of information. As a result, this closed system idea, is not
going to work for you going forward very well, unless you can move
everything into the iManage repository, or Autonomy changes the software
(good luck with that).

I think this is why Autonomy bought another records system (ARM),
because they too realized this closed approach is a dead end. And I say
this despite the obvious fact that many firms are going this route,
because they are comfortable with iManage (people tend to go with what
they know) and the team at iManage has a good marketing program to get
this done.

The ARM records system, on the other hand, was designed as an open
product. It can connect to other repositories (so no moving records from
their native apps if you don't find that desirable). The ARM interface,
in my view, does what you'd really rather have, which is a common
interface that pulls together all the records scattered in applications
all over the firm, and searches for and displays them in that common
interface (using Outlook, which a lot of us have used for years,
including icons that tell you where the data was from). According to
Forrest Research (and I agree with them) this is a much better solution
from both a real world perspective and the I.T./Records world side.

ARM integrates with iManage, so from ARM's interface you can see it all,
records and even non-records, however, if you go in the opposite
direction (from an iManage based Outlook interface), my understanding is
that iManage can not see what is in the ARM records database, because it
can't access any other repository, besides its own. Plus, if you connect
ARM through the iManage/Outlook interface, rather than the ARM/Outlook
interface, Arm can only see iManage documents that have been declared as
records in iManage. This suggests that to have a universal interface,
displaying everything, you'd need to purchase a third party solution
search engine and interface. Somebody tell me I'm wrong, because I'd be
relieved if that were not true.

I would strongly recommend that you do everything possible not to end up
with a stand alone records system, only accessible by your staff.
Anything is better than that. Talk about dead ends. Records management
today is all about electronic records management and distributing the
interface to all users everywhere. If you are not doing that, something
else is. Whatever that is, will be your firm's de facto records system.
At that point, anything going on in the Records Dept will be strictly
dead storage, and/or not relevant. Departments that are not relevant
disappear.

But that's just my opinion.

William P Creamer Jr.
Records Manager
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
787 Seventh Avenue / New York, NY 10019-6099