From:
"Donna W. Collins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:21:52 -0600
Todd -

Are you asking this as the operator of an in-house, one-call system or a participant in an outside One-Call Notification System operated by others?

Normally retention requirements are established for those operating the one-call system and not necessarily for the operator of the pipeline facility itself.  Participants receiving notices may not have a specific retention requirement.

Does your company's Damage Prevention section in the O&M manual specify how to treat notices which could potentially impact your facilities?

Notices which could impact the pipeline system could wind up actually being part of another set of documentation and may not remain as stand-only records, especially if blasting is involved.

If you are a participant only, do you need a two-tier retention requirement for notices with potential impact vs. those with no potential impact?

Assuming at least some of the notices participants receive actually had no potential impact on facilities, they may have no actual retention requirement.  They could be scheduled as destroy at option after review or retain for a fairly short period of time.

Of course, everything varies by state and company needs.

Good luck!
Donna W. Collins, CRM
Energen Corporation
Records Supervisor
205-326-1838
605 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N.
Birmingham, AL  35203-2707

-----

I'm trying to determine the required retention period for one-call notices. I didn't find anything in the List archives and my internet research hasn't produced any uniform timeframes (4-7 years). Are there any pipeline/utility companies out there that currently have a policy surrounding this record series?

Thanks,

Todd Johnson, CRM, ermm