From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:12:56 +1100
UNCLASSIFIED
Trudy, Larry

One thing I have observed over the years, is that in Australia, there
does not seem to be the same use of microform for long term preservation
as there appears to be in the USA.

Maybe it is that cultural difference that has coloured my comments?

Sure, we do have our fair share of micrographics experts etc, but I have
not seen any significant push to microfilm documents on any large scale.
As far as I am aware, the National Archives has not recently undertaken
any filming of documents as an accessibility measure - we tend to scan
them instead and make them available via our website. In my 30-odd years
of experience, I have only used microfiche (COM) in one place - for
metadata reference purposes, not for the actual records themselves. This
was introduced as an 'interim' measure - between card based indexes and
a 'proper' computerised records management system (which were in their
embryonic phase back them).

Also, my experience is currently in 'born-digital' records, so
converting them to film (or even paper) seems very 'old-fashioned'.

Also in my defence, I was trying to be as concise as possible. Obviously
issues surrounding the long term preservation of, and access to, any
type of record is a complex beast.

John