From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:12:51 -0800
Just for a bit more clarity on the iPad issue... I was rushing out the door when
I typed my initial reply.

As noted, I'm aware personally of at least one non-profit board that has
purchased iPads for the Board of Directors. However, these iPads have had
software added to better secure them and ensure that sensitive information
cannot be accessed if the device is lost or stolen. I don't know what specific
software was added, but it is commercially available.

The point that I was making was that no one should assume that an iPad right out
of the box is appropriate for use to hold information of a proprietary or
confidential nature.

I'd also suggest that folks have awareness of these sorts of devices. We're
gearing up to expect a flood of them after Christmas, plus there are Android
pads coming out now and into next year, so there will likely be a variety of
these devices, and a whole bunch of smartphones, starting to connect to
corporate networks. If your company is not addressing this issue in some manner,
it really needs to get moving.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell