From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:02:03 -0800
Hi Lois,

Some more thoughts for you:

Classification of records:
1.Tax Sale - usually have long retention period.
2.Mortgage Company Payments; Web Customer Payments; Pre-payments
-This is the same records series, the difference is who is paid  and way of payment: personal payment, agent payment, or preauthorize tax payments from bank, only, should have the same retention, usually current year + 6, but check your provincial Limitation Act.
3.Refunds - records series with the same current + 6,

I don't understand why do you need to keep all records for 10 years, you mentioned that 3 years for any possible appeals and audits.
If audit requires to keep records for 10 years for tax payment related records, It is okey, but it is strange, shows non - efficiency.
If you want to keep all records for tax appeal in mind, it is also strange. Check the rules for appealing the taxes. Usually, one have to submit tax appeal with very limited period of time, let say 1 year only. When application has been received, the new file is opened and it is not related to tax collection file.
Also, check with your provincial legislation how long you can deal with this issue.
I think you have only one year to finish the issue.
If the appellant does not agree, there is another process, and another file.
I think it is misunderstanding to keep all records series for ???10 years in case somebody will decide after 9 years and 363 days to appeal the tax.

"In terms of legislation, we're located in BC/Canada. I'm not seeing
anything that is directly applicable in either LGMA or ARCS/ORCS."

Did you check this publication:

http://www.civicinfo.bc.ca/conference/rmanual.asp

"The third edition has been completely rewritten and emphasizes standards for records management and incorporates best practices with electronic records, including emails. In addition, the classification and retention schedule has been reviewed and updated current to July 1, 2006, incorporating all statutory changes in British Columbia. "

Regards,

Alex Babin