From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:36:01 -0500
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Dominic Boisvert <[log in to unmask]> sez:

>I have one example.
>
>When the Civil Code of Quebec changed in 1991 we had to change the rule
>for insurance in the retention schedule. We had to keep insurance
>contract for 30 years before the new Code of 1991 (in fact 1994, but
>that's another question/problem). Now we only need to keep them 3 years.
>
>But we still need to keep insurance contracts prior to 1994 for 30
>years.
>
>Most retention schedule I've worked with only mention that the 3 year
>rule applies for records created or received after January 1st 1994. And
>say nothing more. So, for these records, we still need to use the older
>retention schedule (to one with the 30 year rule).
>
>I think that we could simply rewrite that rule in the retention schedule
>so that both the 3 year and the 30 year rule could be applied with the
>same retention schedule.

The way this is typically addressed in a retention schedule is by adding a
sub-category tot he record series and stating the description, retention
requirement, and citation for the differing retention.

Record Series 01-00-200, Insurance Contracts

a) Contracts issued post 1994- retain for 3 years QCC 1991

b) Contracts issued pre 1994- retain for 30 years QCC (year issued)

This isn't at all uncommon, as there are specific reasons to retain similar
records for differing periods either due to regulations or content.

In our environment, we maintain purchase orders for a specific period of
time (depending on the value of the order), but POs related to certain
projects have a longer required retention, so similarly, we have a/b and 1/2
sub categories

Record Series 06-00-020, Purchase Orders and Contracts

a) POs/Contracts under $10,000
  1) for all general procurements- retain for 3 years
  2) for ABC and XYZ project- retain for 25 years

b) Pos/Contracts over $10,001
  1) for all general procurements- retain for 6 years
  2) for ABC and XYZ project- retain permanently

Larry