From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:10:54 -0500
< Also, by the way, should one install safety belt on the car that was made without it?>

In my opinion - yes.  The law in Virginia, for example, says who MUST wear a safety belt in a moving vehicle.  The State Police are not going to look at the age of the car when issuing a ticket for not wearing one.  This is similar to a court of law sanctioning an organization for destroying 1995 vouchers required for a legal case because they applied the current  retention schedule, but not destroying 1987 vouchers because they were covered by a previous retention schedule.  The court would probably find the organization's declared records program to be invalid because it is not applied consistently.  And that brings the discussion back to the original question - should we apply revised "new" retention periods to old records that had a different retention under a previous schedule?

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division