From:
Ralph Better <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:14:26 -0600
It seems that we have migrated from the initial premise. The question was
what to do with an initial implementation of the retention schedule, not how
to reconcile existing schedules with new retention requirements.

When you research your retention requirements I suggest that you apply
current retention requirements as far back in the legacy records as you can.
If you have a series that has a three year retention apply it consistently.
If the laws governing a specific series has changed within the lifespan of
the series make a break where the law change. SOX changed some series a few
years back. The dilemma comes when you are at the break point. If you have a
volume records from before the change are you required to keep them even
though had you a retention schedule you could have disposed of them? I would
say it depends on what the counsels office says. My hunch is you would be
stuck with whatever that volume is, but....

I would recommend as part of the scheduling process you reduce your volume.
There are set standards for sampling historical/legacy volumes. Find a
qualified individual to perform the sampling. Don't assume that because
someone has a CRM that they can do this work. If I recall correctly (I am
sure I will be corrected if I am not) Civil procedure allows a one time
disposal for business. Essentially you can reduce your volume to aid in
reconciling your business needs. document the living heck out of it (is it
netiquette to write heck?).

Standards
You are in the wrong profession. Standards are developing. They are not here
yet. We could have standard practices IMHO we don't because as a profession
we do not work and play well together. Because you do something does not
mean I can or would even if I wanted to. That is the Metaphorical me, of
course I would do what you are going to do, if eventually you share it with
me. Hold on, if I don't like the way you do it should I do anyway just
because I said I would. You know you can't make me. Not even the LIst MOM
has that kind of power. Well OK maybe her, but nobody else. The various
"professions" have established "practices" for dealing with records that
exist in their demesne (cool how often do I get to use that word). As the IT
department and the Archives (if you have one). Share the burden.

Ralph Better

P.S. Reappraisal is a separate conversation thread.