From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:38:35 -0500
Hi Todd,

I recently posted a blog on the AIIM ERM community site on a very similar
topic.  The post can be found here:  http://bit.ly/a2BrXI,

I ran across the concept via the ABA's Commission on Ethics 20/20 Issues
Paper on lawyers' use of technology.  There it is referred to as
cyberinsurance and/or cyberliability insurance.

I had the same reaction you did - that I think it's an interesting idea and
perhaps worth a closer look, but hope that it won't be used as a way to
avoid doing good RIM in the first place.

In general I'm not surprised that the insurance industry is devising new
products in response to the fallout from the amended FRCP and/or the use of
the cloud and other technological advances.  I'm sure they have seen plenty
of claims occur in these areas to prove the worth of diversifying their
offerings.

I don't know anyone who has bought spoliation or cyberliability insurance
(yet), but I'm sure it will start to bubble up.  I think they are insurance
products that are likely to have legs considering the volume of information
and the speed of technological innovation do not appear to be waning.

Julie

Julie J. Colgan, CRM

http://twitter.com/juliecolgan
http://www.linkedin.com/in/juliejcolgan