From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:13:31 -0800
Here's an interesting question for a slow week:

What best practices have you used to document the destruction of print materials that have never been recorded in an offsite storage database - i.e., they never went to offsite storage - for a company that does not have an automated records management system?   In my work I sometimes come across outdated records that had legal value at one time but have exceeded their retention periods and no longer need to be retained.  Usually the materials are in print, have been sitting in a filing cabinet for a long period of time, and there is no official record of their existence in any database.  In certain instances I feel it would be prudent to have a record that the materials existed so that I can associate data about the records with data about their final disposition.  Ordinarily, the way that I might do this is to create a box in our offsite storage system, populate the contents of the box and then "destroy" the box in the system.  However, I don't want to do this because our storage company will charge us for the dummy transactions.  Unless you have an extremely accommodating storage vendor, they won't be willing to do this kind of data manipulation for free (and don't get me started on this tangent).  Has anyone devised a more creative solution to this problem than developing/maintaining a cumbersome excel spreadsheet or access database?

--Lee

[cid:image001.jpg@01CBA6AE.B9E230C0]
Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management