From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:54:29 -0500
On Dec 29, 2010, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: Gregg Long <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: December 28, 2010 10:12:51 AM EST
> Subject: Call For Interested Speakers
>

> Hello,
>

> The Greater Chattanooga Chapter is interested in holding a half to 2/3 day
> seminar in March. I have been struggling to try to find a topic that would
> not only attract Records Professionals but would also bring in other
> interested professionals from the Legal, Finance, and IT worlds.

Gregg,

In the Lehigh Valley Chapter, we saw continuing lower numbers at meetings and we made a strategic move to change our topics to attract different audiences.  Our topics were geared to the employers of records managers.  We then saw a jump in attendance.  We had C-Level managers attending and meetings of 10 to 12 then became meetings of 35 to 45.

Our problem was that we now had larger attendance and we promoted records management by espousing the principles of records managers to the Lehigh Valley in PA, (Allentown, Reading, Easton and Bethlehem) but we still only had 10 to 12 records managers attending.

In retrospect, we should have continued on that path but the 4 to 6 of us who did the work felt that we had just become a seminar promoting organization. Records managers were not stepping up to do the work of being a real member.  Many in ARMA feel that they can receive all the education they need from the annual convention.

I believe that Chapters should speak to the C-Level officers the same was a newspaper does to gain readers, speak to the Doom and Gloom. Speak about the catastrophe's that occur when managers fail to employ good records managers and therefore stray from the legal requirements that our courts demand, that our Federal government demands. This draws a crowd.

But insert a commercial in the meeting for the managers to encourage monthly participation in the Chapter. Make the subtle suggestion that only attending the annual convention might expose them to laws that are enforced differently on the local level.  Build the case that regional companies should share case studies, by presenting Case Studies that are regional.

Insert another commercial that records managers should attend sessions or possibly find their C-Level officers are there but do not see them. But alert them that no one can belong without playing a role. ARMA needs to be more interactive.

This may not give you a session title but it provides a framework for selecting a topic and a long term strategy.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM