From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 09:27:53 +1100
UNCLASSIFIED
Nancy

Below is an extract from  the National Archives of Australia Publication
"Records Issues for Outsourcing"
(http://www.naa.gov.au/records-management/IM-framework/outsourcing/GDA25
.aspx). Even though it is aimed at Australian Commonwealth Government
agencies, the message should be universal - The contract should specify
ownership of the records.

"Unless specified in a contract, agencies may not be able to obtain
access to records
owned by a contractor for its own needs.

For these reasons, the Commonwealth should own all records that it needs
for its
ongoing business purposes and to maintain accountability to the
Parliament and
to the people. In an outsourced environment, this would mean all records
created
by the agency which have been provided to the contractor, and any
records
created by the contractor in the performance of the contract which would
provide
essential evidence of service delivery, should belong to the
Commonwealth

All legal agreements entered into by the Commonwealth for the purchase
of
services should clearly state the ownership (including intellectual
property rights
such as copyright) of any records resulting from the performance of the
contract."

If you do not own the records created by the contractor, you are at the
mercy of the contractor when it comes time to consider changing
contractors, as well as your own ongoing accountability requirements.

There is much in the publication which should be of general interest
when considering what should be contracts about records. [disclaimer
follows] Of course, I am biased because I wrote the publication.

John Lovejoy
I usally speak only for me, but in this case, their words are the same
as my words