From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:57:52 -0500
Chris, you need to get:
- ANSI/AIIM MS44 " Recommended Practice for Quality Control of Image Scanners",
- AIIM X441 "AIIM Scanner Test Target - for use with AIIM MS44", and
- ANSI/AIIM TR34 "Sampling Procedures for Inspection by Attributes of Images in Electronic Image Management (EIM) & Micrographics Systems"

Unless the value of the records you are scanning is quite low, you want to be sure to use BOTH quality control methods described in MS44.

TR34 has a menu of sampling rates you can use for MS44, and you can use different rates for each of the QC methods. If you talk to experts in statistical quality control, you will find they tell you the error-detection rate is LOWER when you try to QC every image than if you use a correctly-designed statistical sampling method (or two, in this case). I'm NO expert in statistical quality control, so don't take my word for it:  find and ask your own.

ISO Technical Committee TC171 is working on various angles of the scanning QC process, but isn't ready to publish anything yet, so these are the currently-recommended tools.

I agree with Todd's comments.

Best of luck,

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin