From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:32:55 -0500
From time to time I have inquiries about certain historical records and asking about value. Since we have done a great of work in this arena protecting priceless collections and we have an article on our web site about newly discovered Anastatic Copies of the Declaration.

Today I had a women call about a Dunlap Broadside  (of the Declaration of Independence)  that has been in her family forever.  I sent her to the Kentucky State Archive Center, or; U. of Kentucky History Department to have them evaluate it.

Even this late in our history new discoveries are out there. Many will come from State Archives where things have been jammed in boxes for so long no one knows what is there. It is a shame that space allocation and improper storage shelving leads to all this clumping that obscures history.  Even after they find things, they end up two years later jammed in a box, back in a closet.

Rhode Island just found some amazing stuff in their basement of the Archive.  I wonder where it will be in a few months from now?

So few states are addressing the electronic records in a meaningful way.  After all, it is the information that is of value, not just the format. Washington State and Massachusetts have addressed this in a very proactive way and others are now coming along.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM