From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:22:57 -0500
http://bit.ly/giz8wV

Another "not directly related to records management" article, but I think
its in our best interests to look beyond what is published by ourselves to
find nuggets that apply to what we do as well.

This is primarily about financial and economic risks, as well as
catastrophic events that can impact a number of people.

There were a few comments in this that resonated with me though, and I can
draw direct parallels to RM Programs from them:

For individuals, there are few better opportunities for re-thinking risk
management than those offered by studying one's own setbacks as well as the
experiences of others.

And among the more enduring company and country lessons: Complacency will
kill you, good governance is essential, and learn from others' mistakes to
avoid your own.

These comments made me think of the article from yesterday about 30 yrs of
records being discarded, and past fires in commercial record centers, such
as one last year in New Mexico where countless cancer patients records were
lost forever.

Are *WE* doing enough to evaluate and avoid risks for our organizations
information assets?  Do we practice the 1990s tactic of MBWA (Management By
Walking Around) and look for possible risks?  Do we make recommendations
about potential risks related to how we are (or aren't) managing content
stored electronically and "tossed over the fence" to third parties to
manage?  Do the TOS and SLAs in contracts offer sufficient protection?

I'm just sayin'....

Larry
[Yes, it's really me =) ]