From:
robin tew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:47:37 -0800
Good morning,

I work in the Records Department of a large public school system.  Over the past few years, we have been inundated by credential verification companies.  They--

   1.  Call to find out how to verify graduation
   2.  Call to verify receipt of the faxed release
   3.  Call to check on the response time
   4.  Call to say that the student will lose the job opportunity if we don't respond immeidately.

And they do this all the time.  We are responding to 3 or more phone calls for one request. We average about 1000 requests per month, although not all of these are from verification companies.

Sometimes the companies fax a release every day until we respond.  Sometimes they have the student call our office to complain.  Sometimes they fax or call the superintendent's office in addition to our office, hoping for a faster response.

Right now, we are checking every request from a credential company in order to weed out the duplicates.  We no longer verfiy receipt of faxed request, as it can take 10-15 minutes to check everywhere the fax could be in the process.

A neighboring school system now only accepts mailed requests for student records or verifications.  I have also been approached by an outside vender who wants to handle all our requests in exchange for a fee.

Neither of these solutions is acceptable, in my opinion.  I do not want to add to our response time by refusing to accept faxes.  Because of our legacy systems and microfilm, an outside vender is not practical.

Are others having these same problems?  How are you handling them?

Robin Tew
Supervisor, Records Management
Pinellas County Schools

. . . . Enjoying mid-60s and no snow in sunny Florida!!!