From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:52:33 -0500
Christina,

I always do two interviews. I do the first interview, which I have
dubbed the "Level I" interview, with the department head and focus on
the mission and operations of the department. In this interview I try
not to talk about records at all, (but the conversation invariably leans
toward and includes them). Then I begin my physical inventory of the
department's records, completing an inventory form for each record
series. After the inventory is complete I then schedule subsequent
interviews (yes, "Level II" interviews, if you must know) with the same
department head, or heads of the various units within the department who
have the detailed knowledge of the records that I need.

This is an oversimplification to some extent, because each inventory and
even department is unique. But I use one inventory form and need both
physical inventories and interviews to complete it.

Hope that helped,
Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh, PA